Sunday, November 28, 2010

" Is it Only a dream?"

I am wrapping up this month's postings in regards to the songwriting of Stevie Nicks.  She is able to take you on a journey through her songs and most of them sound like poetry.  It is a beautiful gift to try to take people on a journey and create a place of escape if only for three to four minutes. " Rhiannon" is a song that she wrote after reading about a Welsh Witch.  The way that song is crafted and the catchyness of it makes it a classic. " Leather and Lace" is a great song that incorporates imagery, emotion and a sense of vulnerability.   I hope her influence has rubbed off on my songwriting.  I don't think there is any proven method of songwriting that leads to success but most songs coincidentally have a rhyme scheme.  I do think that success depends on how the lyrics fit to the music.  I  recently began posting some of my lyrics on a few boards again in the hope that I will get some constructive feedback.  Ultimately,  I think when I record a vocal demo of these songs I will see how they fit together with the melody and work out the kinks.  I try to write my feelings and leave a little mystery so people can relate them to whatever they are going through.  I don't believe that you have to spell out the topic all the time but I do believe that from time to time it can be a good thing.  I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and are enjoying the holiday season!!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment